Our Permitting Process

Great Outdoors Construction can handle all permits required for all marine construction needs from Docks to Bulkheads. Office Manager, Frances Williams, is the acting Agent/Notary for our company and works with DHEC-OCRM, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and all local agencies that may be required in the permitting process.

Give us a call for your free estimate and have all your questions answered by an experienced marine contractor. Customers can obtain their own permits.

Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are a few Q&A you may have about the process.

How do I find out if my property qualifies to have a dock?
It is important for waterfront property owners to do their homework. Review the regulations to see if the site under consideration meets the minimum requirements for dock construction.
How do I apply for a new dock?
Contact the DHEC-OCRM office in your area and pick up a Permit Application Packet. You can also download a Permit Application from the DHEC-OCRM web site.
What size can my dock be?
DHEC-OCRM has specific regulations regulating the size of the structure as it relates to the size of the creek. Creek width is typically measured as the open water from march grass to march grass.

Call your local DHEC-OCRM for the current guidelines used to limit maximum dock size.

Do I have to obtain other permits or authorization from other agencies once I have obtained a permit from DHEC-OCRM?
A dock located on a federally maintained waterway, such as the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, will likely require federal permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as well as a DHEC-OCRM permit. This activity results in a ‘Joint Public Notice’ issued by the two agencies. Local permission may also be required in some areas. Note: a DHEC-OCRM permit does not relieve the permit applicant from the responsibility of obtaining any other permit(s) or authorizations.
What happens when OCRM makes a decision?
DHEC-OCRM either issues or denies the permit application. When a permit is issued, DHEC-OCRM will send the original and one copy of the permit to the applicant, and will also include instructions to follow once you get ready for the construction phase. The permit is not valid until the applicant signs the original and returns it to OCRM.

In the case of a denial, DHEC-OCRM will send a formal letter to the applicant explaining why the permit has been denied.

What is allowed as maintenance and repair?
Basic maintenance and repair may not require a new permit. DHEC regulations state, “Normal maintenance and repair applies only to work on a structure which has been previously permitted or is grand-fathered or exempted and is still generally intact and functional in its present condition. The work may only extend to the original dimensions of the structure, and any expansion, additions, or major rebuilding will require either a Department permit or documentation to and written approval from the Department. When is comes time to make minor repairs, write to your local DHEC-OCRM office and state exactly what work will be done.

You can go to DHEC-OCRM web site to review the Q & A above or call Great Outdoors Construction and start with a free estimate. Click on the Contact Us, give us a call, or send an email.

Would you like us to send you a quote?

Just call or email us your inquiries, or use our online contact form below.

Great Outdoors Construction

Fax: 843-889-5761

Get A Free Estimate